Tuesday, October 10, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Tuesday, October 10, 2000
Volume 5, Number 22

Don’t forget to send us your comments! Put your two cents in by writing to gazette-management@student-publications.swarthmore.edu

Visit the Daily Gazette Web Site at:
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Housing Comittee discusses issues
2) World news roundup
3) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Pastor named CC Player of the Week
2) World sports roundup
3) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 50s.
Is it Friday yet?

Tonight: Clear. Lows near 40.
Wait, don’t answer that.

Tomorrow: Mostly clear. Highs in the mid 50s.
‘Cause if it’s true, I’m totally screwed.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Open face turkey-ham sandwich, curly fries, *vegetarian chili, open face vegetable sandwich, french cut green beans, mixed vegetables
**Asian chicken salad bar

Dinner: Catfish with creole tartar sauce, corn pudding, *broccoli-mushroom stir-fry, tomatoes provencal, brussel sprouts
**Cajun bar

NEWS REPORT

1) Housing Comittee discusses issues

After a complaint from the Fire Marshall this summer regarding safety violations in dorm storage areas, the Housing Committee passed a new $25 furniture-moving charge. As described in a recent all-campus email from Dean Myrt Westphal, starting this year, if you don’t want a piece of furniture, you have to pay $25 per piece and move it out in the hall. All unwanted furniture is removed by facilities, and brought back at the end of the year. RAs have made lists so the furniture finds its way back, and those who don’t pay the $25, don’t go on the list and don’t get their furniture back will get charged replacement costs. This year, students living in Wharton will get some flexibility because the email warning came after furniture was removed.

In other recent housing news, there is a proposal to add a second RA to Roberts and put freshmen in some of the quints. One argument is that Roberts is quiet and lacks social life, and that adding frosh would help alleviate that. Others say that the lack of social life is the main attraction of Roberts to some upperclassmen in the first place.

Coinless laundry is still being discussed, but the arguments echo last year’s discussion. Coinless laundry is problematic because it is too expensive for those who don’t do their laundry often. Furthermore, since coinless laundry would encourage people to wash their clothes more often, there is a greater likelihood of machines breaking down. Also, there would be no way to stop frivolous use of the machines, such as washing one shirt, which is harmful to the environment. One possible solution is getting coinless dryers, but not washers.

– Jeff Heckelman

2) World news roundup

An Isreali ultimatum issued to Palestinian rebels which threatened war if the rebels did not give in was averted yesterday under heavy pressure from world leaders. The proposal, which had called for the invasion of contested areas in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, was set to go into effect Monday at midnight, but intervention from the UN, US, and Russia convinced Isreali Prime Minister, Ehud Barak, to reconsider. Barak has said that he will attend US-sponsored peace negotiations if PLO leader, Yassar Arafat, also agrees.

Presidential candidate George W. Bush has closed the gap between himself and opponent Al Gore according to two new national polls. A Reuters/MSNBC poll showed Gore ahead by just 1 point, with 8% of registered voters still undecided, while a Gallup poll actually claimed that Bush had taken the lead, if only by a narrow margin. The two candidates will square off in the second of three televised debates this Wednesday evening.

Yugoslavia, still in the midsts of massive change following Slobodan Milosevic’s abdication of the presidential office last week, was welcomed back into the European economic community through the lifting of several EU trade sanctions on the nation. While the removal of bans on oil and plane flights were warmly received by the population, future economic restoration will depend on internal restructuring and international aid to the bankrupt country.

3) Campus events

Lee Frank Lecture: Bonnie Yochelson ’74 “The Story Behind Berenice Abbott’s Changing New York”
LPAC Cinema, 4:15 p.m.

“Surprises in the Greenhouse” Phi Beta Kappa Visiting Lecture by Wallace S. Broecker
Kirby Lecture Hall, 4:15 p.m.

International Alumni Panel
Scheuer Room – Kohlberg, 7:00 p.m.

Educational Resources Group Information Session
Bond Memorial Hall, 7:00 p.m.

Movie: “A Son of Africa: the Slave Narrative of Loaudah Equiano”
Kohlberg 226, 7:00 p.m.

Swarthbucklers Practice
Upper Trable, 7:30 p.m.

Film Showing: “Mumia: A Case of Reasonable Doubt?”
Kohlberg 116, 7:30 p.m.

Italian Movie: “Ladri di saponette (The Icicle Thief)”
Kohlberg 330, 8:00 p.m.

Scottish Country Dancing
LPAC Dance Studio 3, 8:15 p.m.

Ballroom and Swing Dance
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Pastor named CC Player of the Week

Kevin Pastor ’04 was named the Centennial Conference Player of the Week for men’s soccer. Pastor scored two goals off the bench to give Swarthmore a 3-2 win over Neumann last week. On the season he has scored three goals in three attempts to lead the team.

2) World sports roundup

St. Louis Cardinals slugger Mark McGwire announced that he would like to DH if the Cardinals make it to the world series. The ailing star, who has been out of the lineup for long stretches since being diagnosed with knee tendinitis in early July, had pinch-hit in the Cards’ previous series with the Braves, but when playing at an AL venue in the Series would be able to have multiple at-bats without having to field… The League Championship Series begin tonight (8:12, NBC) in New York as the Yankees take on the Mariners in the first game of a best-of-7 format to determine the American League champion. Meanwhile, the NLCS will kick off tomorrow with the Cardinals playing host to the Mets… Ex-Boston Bruin Marty McSorley told the press yesterday that his recent conviction on charges of assault during a hockey game last year was symptomatic of the NHL’s refusal to acknowledge the violence of its sport. He claimed that the trial, which resulted from an incident in which McSorley hit Vancouver Canuck Donald Brashear in the head with his stick, could have put the NHL in the hot seat but that he put the game and league above his own livelihood.

3) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today’s contests:

No contests scheduled for today.

Tomorrow’s contests:

Filed hockey hosts Alvernia, 4:00 p.m.
Volleyball hosts Dickinson, 7:00 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten.” – B. F. Skinner