Friday, October 6, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Friday, October 6, 2000
Volume 5, Number 22

Let your voice be heard!
VOTE!!! Visit the Daily Gazette web site at 
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Game room referendum competition heats up
2) Teahouse at the IC tonight
3) World news roundup
4) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Field hockey crushes Green Terror
2) Women’s soccer falls to Western Maryland
3) World sports roundup
4) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Mostly cloudy. Highs in the low 60s.

Tonight: Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s.

Saturday: Cloudy…Breezy and cooler. Highs in the low 50s.

Sunday: Cloudy with a chance of showers. Highs 40 to 50.
Haha… no jokes today folks!

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Fried shrimp, french fries, *creole cabbage, broccoli, mushroom casserole, vegetable blend corn
**Fajita bar

Dinner: Meat lasagna, garlic breadsticks, vegetarian lasagna, *hawaiian beans, italian green, beans, baby lima beans
**Ceasar bar

NEWS REPORT

The impending referendum on the fate of the old game room has become a bit more interesting in the past few days with the possibility of a new entrant into the student run-off.

In addition to likely proposals from SCCS (which was narrowly defeated by the Student Art Association in a similar referendum for the use of Sharples III last year) and SAC (which held jurisdiction over the game room before the Student Council over-ruled it at last Monday’s meeting), Dining Services (DS) is looking to offer its own bid to the campus.

Basically, DS would like to set up a convenience store in the space, providing the student body with “such items as pre-made sandwiches, salads, hot dogs, pastries, pizza, and can and bottle beverages,” according to director Linda McDougall. These provisions could then be bought with either cash or meal plan points, although meal equivalency would not be accepted due to financial infeasibility.

The operation would be student-staffed, providing new work-study options as well as the ability to have later hours than Essie Mae’s. For instance, a tentative schedule would have the store open from 6-midnight, with the option of daytime hours if the demand was there. McDougall also points out that under DS’s plan, the store would be self-sustaining to the extent that it would “cover all of (its own) expenses including, cost of goods, labor, supplies, equipment and maintenance,” meaning there would be no alteration to the current dining system.

The DS is proposing the plan in response to student requests for more flexible meal options.

The game room, which was situated in Tarble basement, and had been home to pool tables, ping-pong, foosball, and a TV was unofficially relocated to the student lounge near Essie Mae’s earlier this semester when the pool tables were transferred to that area. However, the rest of the new space is occupied by video game machines, effectively leaving the foosball, ping-pong, and TV equipment without a home.

The goal of this relocation was essentially to make more space available to student groups, and thus, to improve the quality of student life.

– Jeremy Schifeling

2) Teahouse at the IC tonight

Tonight, the InterCultural Center and SAO will co-sponsor the SAO teahouse – combining great food, poetry, plenty of tea, and the harmonies of campus a capella group Sixteen Feet, among others.

This evening’s event was organized by IC intern Cathy Ta ’03 and Dean Anna Maria Cobo. It will feature Step Dancing, musical performances and a variety of Asian coffees, teas, and cakes. There will also be an open mic for all talented Swatties to take a turn.

Ta hopes that the teahouse will encourage “learning from one another” and provide “a great cultural experience as well.” Tonight’s teahouse is the first of many that will be held throughout the year.

The teahouse will run from 8-10pm and is open to the entire Swarthmore community.

– Marilyn Guzman

3) World news roundup

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that one in four Americans still smoke cigarettes despite of the anti-tobacco campaigns and new kick-the-habit aids like nicotine gum and the patch. Although numbers fall far short of the CDC’s goal of cutting the smoking rate to 15%, there has been a large decline wince 1965 when 44% of adults were smokers.

Vice president candidates Dick Cheney and Joseph Lieberman debated yesterday on the issue of military readiness, tax cuts and the future of Social Security. Each reiterated his party’s position in a polite atmosphere.

Mobs surrounded parliament and other key Belgrade sites in protest of Slobodan Milosevic’s refusal to step down. President Clinton ruled out any US military intervention to resolve the conflict.

4) Campus events

Friday

Collection: “Black Student Self-Esteem” by Dr. Iyailu Moses
LPAC Cinema, 1:00 p.m.

Movie: Boyz in the Hood
DuPont 161, 7:30 and 10:00 p.m.

Swarthmore Christian Fellowship Meeting
Kohlberg 115, 7:30 p.m.

Chinese Film Festival: That Mountain, That Person (1999) by Huo Jianqi
LPAC Cinema, 7:30 p.m.

Got Tea? Featuring 16 Feet
IC, 8:00 p.m

Saturday

Centennial Reflections on Chinese Cinema: A Generational Dialogue
Scheuer Room, 9:00 a.m.

Film Showing : Black Robe
LPAC Cinema, 1:00 p.m.

Movie: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Dupont 161, 7:30 and 10:00 p.m.

Chinese Film Festival: East Palace, West Palace (1997) by Zhang Yuan
LPAC Cinema, 7:30 p.m.

Sunday

Protestant Worship
Bond 2nd floor, 4:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Field hockey crushes Green Terror

Field hockey defeated Western Maryland yesterday by a score of 3-0. Ingrid Kaszas ’03 netted the first goal and Alison Gaffney ’02 put home the next two in securing the win. Meanwhile, on the other end of the field, expert net-minder Kate Nelson-Lee ’03 worked the shutout with 10 saves. Kim Cariello ’02 added an assist in the win, bringing the Garnet’s record to 4-2 in Centennial Conference action, 8-4 overall.

The Western Maryland Green Terror defeated the women’s soccer team 7-0 yesterday. The loss brings the Garnet’s record to 1-4 in Centennial Conference play, 4-6 overall.

3) World sports roundup

The St. Louis Cardinals defeated the Atlanta Braves by a score of 10-4 to take a 2-0 series lead heading back to Atlanta. Will Clark and Mark McGwire each hit a homerun in the winning effort. …In the other playoff contest between the New York Mets and the San Francisco Giants, New York tied the series at 1-1 with a 5-4 victory. …The Philadelphia Flyers opened their season with a 6-3 win over the Vancouver Canucks. The lopsided victory was accomplished without the help of Eric Lindros who had spurned the team’s offer of a new contract in the pre-season.

4) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

TODAY

Men’s tennis at Washington & Lee, TBA

SATURDAY

Women’s rugby at Shippensburg, 11:00 a.m.
Women’s soccer at Eastern, 11:00 a.m.
Women’s cross country at Dickinson Invite, 11:00 a.m.
Men’s cross country at Dickinson Invite, 11:45 a.m.
Football at Muhlenberg, 1:00 p.m.
Men’s tennis at Washington & Lee, TBA

SUNDAY

Men’s tennis at Washington & Lee, TBA

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“All the good things in life are immoral, illegal or heavily taxed.” – Oscar Wilde