Wednesday, October 4, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Wednesday, October 4, 2000
Volume 5, Number 20

Sound off on the Presidential Debates!
Visit the Daily Gazette web site at http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Student Council update
2) Sound bites from the first US Presidential debate
3) World news roundup
4) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Field hockey victorious
2) World sports roundup
3) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Partly sunny, then cloudy and rainy afternoon. Highs in the mid 70s.
About 200 Swatties crammed into Parrish Parlours to watch the Presidential debate last night…

Tonight: Chance of showers/thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 50s.
They booed, hissed, and cheered at the television screens as though Gore and Bush could really hear them.

Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy, possible rain. Highs in the upper 70s.
Well, something tells me, based on that reaction, that one of them’s going to hear them loud and clear in about a month…

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Turkey meat loaf with mushroom gravy, steamed rice, *vegetable lo-mein, spinach souffle, succotash, cut green beans
**Asian bar

Dinner: Fresh fish, scalloped potatoes, *Cajun black beans, pasta & sauce, broccoli, mixed vegetables
**Pasta bar

NEWS REPORT

1) Student Council update

Student Council met Monday night to a packed Parrish Parlours, and as usual, a number of issues were brought forth and discussed.

A contingent of students living in Wharton argued that there is an insufficient number of cable televisions in dorm lounges on campus, and that RA funds are limited and can’t conceivably pay for cable access. The matter was temporarily put on hold until SC determines if revenue from the pinball machines in Tarble can pay for additional cable access and antennas.

The Council voted unanimously in favor of hiring Marvin Barron ’01 as Student Budget Committee Treasurer for the ’00-’01 year. Barron later proposed that SC pay van premiums, and the Council voted unanimously in favor of the proposal.

Brandon Silverman ’02 and Will Ortman ’02 also promised to speak with Judy Downing, head of Information Technology Services, in regards to student complaints about the low bandwidth issue.

Finally, Rodney Morris ’01 and Chris Sadjera ’01, co-directors of SAC, contested SC’s student referendum on the game room, on the grounds that SC doesn’t have jurisdiction over the game room, SAC directors do. Jordan Brackett ’01, SC co-chair, contended that SC has jurisdiction over SAC, including the directors, and thus over the game room space.

SC voted 7-2 with three abstentions to continue onward with the student referendum.

Al Gore…

“The priorities are just very different. For every new dollar that I propose for spending on health care, Governor Bush spends $3 for a tax cut for the wealthiest 1 percent. Now, for every dollar that I propose to spend on education, he spends $5 on a tax cut for the wealthiest one percent. Those are very clear differences.”

“His plan is to spend more money on tax cuts for the wealthiest one percent than all of the new spending he proposes for education, health care, prescription drugs and national defense all combined.”

“You may want to focus on scandals. I want to focus on results.”

“Our military is the strongest, best-trained, best-equipped, best-lead fighting force in the world and in the history of the world. Nobody should have any doubt about that, least of all our adversaries or potential adversaries.”

“But I went [to Vietnam], because I knew if I didn’t, somebody else in the small town of Carthage, Tennessee, would have to go in my place.”

“Under my proposal, the national debt will be completely eliminated by the year 2012.”

“I support a woman’s right to choose. My opponent does not. Here’s the difference: He trusts the government to order a woman to do what he thinks she ought to do. I trust women to make the decisions that affect their lives, their destinies and their bodies. And I think a woman’s right to choose ought to be protected and defended.”

George W. Bush…

“I’m beginning to think not only did he invent the Internet, he invented the calculator. It’s fuzzy math.”

“I cannot let this go by, the old-style Washington politics, of ‘We’re going to scare you in the voting booth.'”

“It’s a school full of so-called at-risk children. It’s how we, unfortunately, label certain children. It means basically they can’t learn.”

“Testing is the cornerstone of reform. You know how I know? Because it’s the cornerstone of reform in the state of Texas. Republicans and Democrats came together and asked the question, ‘What can we do to make our public education the best in the country?’ And we’ve done a long way working together to do so.”

“I don’t think a president can do that. I was disappointed in the ruling because I think abortions ought to be more rare in America. And I’m worried that that pill will create more abortion, will cause more people to have abortions.” (on FDA-approved abortion pill RU-486)

“My passion and my vision is to empower Americans to make decisions for their own lives.”

“I believe they’ve moved that sign, ‘The Buck Stops Here,’ from the Oval Office desk to the Lincoln Bedroom, and that’s not right.”

“This man has no credibility on the issue.” (On Gore’s stance on campaign finance reform)

“You’ve had your chance, Mr. Vice President.”

Jim Lehrer…

“One quick thing, gentlemen. These are your rules. I’m doing my best. We’re way over the three-and-a-half. I have no problems with it, but we wanted–do you want to have a quick response, and we’ll move on. We’re already almost five minutes on this, alright?”

3) World news roundup

Israelis and Palestinians continued to defy a cease-fire call on the eve of a U.S. attempt to salvage peacemaking. Isolated army posts in the West Bank and Gaza Strip have degenerated into virtual free-fire zones.

A drenching storm swept through south Florida on Tuesday, flooding streets during rush hour, forcing airline flight cancellations, and shutting down schools early.

A Kremlin spokesman said Tuesday that Russian troops killed a Chechen rebel leader who had organized continual militant attacks on federal forces in Grozny.

At Montreal’s Notre-Dame Basilica, dignitaries including Jimmy Carter and Fidel Castro and thousands of Canadians gathered to pay their respects to Pierre Trudeau, the former prime minister who boosted Canada’s pride with his charisma, his willingness to buck the US and his dedication to Canadian unity.

4) Campus events

“Cadillac Desert – BoonDoggles and Bitter Bureaucratic Rivalry.”
Kirby Lecture Hall, 4:30 p.m.

French Movie Night
Kohlberg 116, 7:00 p.m.

Chinese Film Festival – Death of a College Girl (1988) by Shi Shujun
LPAC Cinema, 7:30 p.m.

College Democrats Meeting
Parrish Parlor – East, 7:30 p.m.

“Cop Killer” a lecture on Mumia Abu-Jamal by Dan Flynn, Accuracy in Academia.
Friends Meeting House, 8:00 p.m.

“Hamlet” with Michael Almereyda
DuPont 161, 10:00 p.m.

Open SQU meeting
IC Big Room, 10:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Field hockey victorious

The field hockey defeated Muhlenberg 2-1. Krista Hollis ’01 got the Garnet on the board just 52 seconds into the game off an assist from Katie Tarr ’02. Tarr later scored the game winner with 19:59 remaining. Kate Nelson-Lee ’03 had four saves in goal. The team’s record improved to 7-4, 3-2.

2) World sports roundup

Baseball theme today, folks, in honor of the start of the playoffs. A perfect example of why baseball can be the most unpredictable sport in the world – Braves pitcher Greg Maddux gave up six runs in the first inning for the first time in his career and Cardinal’s rookie phenom Rick Ankiel threw five wild pitches in one inning, something that hadn’t been done since 1890 – incidentally, St. Louis beat Atlanta 7-5 in game 1 of their division series. …In much less eventful games, the A’s knocked off the Yankees 5-3 and Seattle beat Chicago 7-4 in ten innings. …Amid all the firings of managers in recent days, Tom Kelly signed a one-year contract for his 15th year at the helm of the Minnesota Twins. Kelly’s tenure is the longest of any active manager by far.

3) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

TODAY

Men’s Soccer at Neumann, 4:00 p.m.

TOMORROW

Field hockey hosts Western Maryland, 4:00 p.m.
Women’s soccer hosts Western Maryland, 4:00 p.m.
Volleyball at Neumann, 6:00 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Voters quickly forget what a man says.” – Richard M. Nixon