Monday, September 25, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Monday, September 25, 2000
Volume 5, Number 13

Visit the Daily Gazette web site at
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Danawell RAs to host golf tournament
2) World news roundup
3) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Swarthmore 15, Gettysburg 10
2) Field hockey maintains dominance
3) Women’s X-C sweeps tri-meet
4) Volleyball keeps on winning
5) Women’s rugby stays on track
6) Women’s soccer loses nail biter
7) Men’s X-C drops dual meet
8) World sports roundup
9) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Mostly cloudy, rainy afternoon. Highs in the mid 60s.
So the football team won a regular, normal game against a legitimate opponent…

Tonight: Rain. Lows in the low 50s.
You’d think that I’d feel compelled to come up with some sort of quip about hell freezing over or something like that.

Tomorrow: Cloudy, rain in the morning. Highs in the high 50s.
Not this time… congratulations, guys – enjoy it.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Chicken nuggets, curly fries, *tofu joe, baked penne with mushrooms, corn, spinach
**Cheesesteak bar

Dinner: Seafood scampi, orzo, *spicy peanut noodle, Indian style chick peas, broccoli, cauliflower
**Picnic bar

NEWS REPORT

1) Danawell RAs to host golf tournament

After decades of debate over the purpose of the narrow, crooked hallways in Dana and Hallowell, this year’s RAs figured out the answer: they’re perfect for putting.

The Danawell Open will start this Saturday, September 30th, at 3:00, and is open to all students. The Danawell Open is a golf tournament in which competitors will start on the third floor of either Dana or Hallowell and putt their way across the crooked hallway and down the staircase on each floor. The ball must end up in the drainage grate in the laundry room in the basement.

Contestants will compete in teams of four. The entry fee is $5.00 per team. The tournament will be limited to 60 teams. The team which completes the task with the fewest number of strokes wins half of the pot. The RAs will use the other half of the prize money to throw a party in the Danawell Trailer for all of the contestants on Saturday night, beginning at 10pm. Interested parties should contact Annie Baumgartner via email at <abaumga1> to set up a tee time.

2) World news roundup

The defense ministers of North and South Korea held talks Monday for the first time in five decades, hoping to reconcile some of the hostility across the world’s most heavily fortified border. The talks marked one of the most significant steps toward establishing friendly relations on the divided Korean Peninsula since a June summit of the leaders of both Koreas. 

After six days of rain that submerged much of eastern India, officials are just beginning relief efforts, delivering food and fresh water to the millions marooned in the countryside. Officials estimated 373 people are already dead as a result of the floods.

On the other side of the world, it rained in North Texas Saturday – for the first time in 84 days. By Saturday night enough rain had fallen in a rain gauge at the Dallas Airport to register 1/100th of an inch – the only measurable rainfall the gauge had taken in since June 30.

Ronald Gay, 53, admitted to opening fire in a gay bar in Roanoke, VA, killing one person and injuring six others. He told police investigators that he acted out of long-standing hostility over being made fun of because of his last name.

Monica Lewinsky has agreed to host six 4-minute television segments for a British television network, entitled “Postcards from Monica.” She will be reporting on American culture for Britain’s Channel 5 starting this November. 

3) Campus events

Ballroom and Swing Dance
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SWIL Movie: Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Kirby Lecture Hall, 10:00 p.m.

Student Council Meeting
Parrish Parlor – East, 10:00 p.m.

Model UN Meeting
Kohlberg 226, 10:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Swarthmore 15, Gettysburg 10

Ending a 31-game losing streak that goes back to October 1995, the Swarthmore College football team won a Centennial Conference game, defeating Gettysburg 15-10 Saturday.

The Bullets jumped out to an early 10-0 lead, but Swarthmore came back, led by two interceptions by Rob Castellucci ’01. He also kicked two field goals (29, 33).

The turning point came on a unique play which Swarthmore ran to perfection. From 51 yards out, punter Jared Passmore ’04 faked a punt and instead passed to Rich Andres ’03, who ran out the 51 yard touchdown that gave the Garnet the lead for good. Castellucci later added a field goal to stretch the lead to 15-10.

Gettysburg had one last chance, and embarked on a 13-play, 74-yard drive over the last 5:32 of the game. The deciding blow came when the Bullets had fourth and three on the Garnet seven-yard line. Gettysburg’s rusher was met at the five-yard line by Tony Hillery ’01 and Kevin Perry ’04, one yard short of a first down with just 42 seconds left. The Tide let the clock run out to complete the victory.

The team defeated Oberlin College earlier this season, giving the Garnet Tide its first two-win season in five years and its first 2-1 record since 1993. And there are six games left to play, with the next coming this Saturday when they host Ursinus at 1:30 on Clothier Field.

2) Field hockey maintains dominance

The field hocky team demolished Dickinson 5-1, improving their record to 6-3, 2-1 on the season. First half goals were scored by Krista Hollis ’01, Lindsay Van Sciver ’03 and Kim Cariello ’02. The Garnet then extended their 3-1 halftime lead to a 5-1 victory through goals by Katie Tarr ’02 and Erika Williams ’01. Kate Nelson-Lee ’03 had four saves in goal for the Garnet.

3) Women’s X-C sweeps tri-meet

The women’s cross country team defeated Lebanon Valley 24-31, Allentown 21-35, and Muhlenberg 23-32 to bring their record to 4-0 on the season. Joko Agunloye ’01 won the 5100 meter race in 20:10. 

4) Volleyball keeps on winning

The volleyball team swept their match with Cabrini College this weekend, winning 15-3, 15-3, and 15-8 to win their third match in a row. The team’s record is now 5-7, 2-2 on the season.

5) Women’s rugby stays on track

The women’s rugby team picked up right where it left off last season, defeating West Chester on Saturday. The A side won 7-5 while the B side won 18-5.

6) Women’s soccer loses nail biter

The women’s soccer team lost to Dickinson 4-3, in a game which they led at the half. Sarah Jay’01 and Liz Brainard ’03 gave the Garnet a 2-1 halftime lead. In the second half Dickinson came back to take a 3-2 lead until the 68th minute, when Heather Marandola ’01 scored to tie it at 3-3. However, at the 77 minute mark, Dickinson scored one last time to take the lead and held on for the victory. The team’s record is now 2-4, 0-2.

7) Men’s X-C drops dual meet

The men’s cross country team didn’t fare as well as the ladies against Lebanon Valley (26-29) and Muhlenberg (24-35), dropping their season record to 0-3. Marc Jeuland ’01 won the 8000 meter race in 27:08, but didn’t get enough help from his teammates to secure a victory.

8) World sports roundup

The IAAF confirmed that C.J. Hunter, US shotputter and husband to Olympic gold-medalist Marion Jones, tested positive for steroids earlier this year. Hunter is not competing in the Olympic games but is credentialed as a coach for his wife, who is trying to win an unprecedented five gold medals.

Justin Leonard won for the first time in over two years Sunday at the Westin Texas Open. He fired a six-under 64 to win by five strokes over Mike Weibe.

Mike Mussina struck out 15 in seven innings as the Orioles defeated the Red Sox, all but officially destroying Boston’s chances at securing a postseason berth.

Nebraska and Florida State remain 1-2 in this week’s ESPN/USA Today college football coaches’ poll.

4) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

TODAY

Volleyball at Wilmington, 7:00 p.m.

TOMORROW

Women’s tennis at Kutztown, 3:30 p.m.
Women’s soccer at Johns Hopkins, 4:00 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Grad school is the snooze button on the clock-radio of life.” – John Rogers