Friday, September 15, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Friday, September 15, 2000
Volume 5, Number 7

NOTE TO READERS

As noted in Wednesday’s edition, one of the key features of the Daily Gazette this year is its new and improved web site. Well, we are proud to say the site is now up and running at <www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily>. While much of the new web-exclusive content is not up yet, we have already included a horoscope section that is tailored exclusively to Swarthmore’s interest. We hope that you will the site both fun and informative. And, as always we would love to hear your ideas and comments.

Sincerely, the Editors.

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Swarthmore brings back popular sex workshop
2) Larry Schall on Survivor?
3) World news roundup
4) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) World sports roundup
2) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Cloudy with showers likely…Highs in the mid 70s.
You totally have to check out our web page.

Tonight: Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 50s.
See, we’re down with SCCS, and we’ll be able to tell if you don’t visit our site.

Saturday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 60s.
And if we find out, we’ll send people into your room late at night to confiscate all your mp3s and porn.

Sunday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 70s.
So visit our frickin’ site, ok?

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Beef with broccoli, jasmine rice, *three bean casserole, eggplant, Creole veggie blend, fortune cookies
**Wrap bar

Dinner: Tandori chicken, oven roasted potatoes *tabouleh, baby carrots, peas
**Pizza bar

NEWS REPORT

On Monday night 60 competitive Swatties sat in a classroom brainstorming answers to the evening’s challenge–synonyms for sex words. The students were attending the first meeting of the Topics in Human Sexuality Workshop organized by Linda Echols.

The workshop, facilitated by two therapists and eight students, focuses on three areas of discussion–physiology and human sexual response, homosexuality and bisexuality, and relationships.

Participants will also attend a film day on Sunday to view and discuss a variety of sexually explicit movies, but this is not typical Sunday afternoon smut. These movies are neither pornography nor Hollywood. Therapists often use these films to present real sex rather than the glamorous versions in popular culture.

The two therapists have been running such workshops for years for college students, for doctors, and even for a group of nuns. Swarthmore has run the workshop annually for the past twenty years except for last year due to a lack of student organizers.

Not only do participants learn about and explore their sexuality, they also earn physical education credit. Offering PE credit (as Bryn Mawr and Haverford do) at Swarthmore increased participation from the expected 40 students to over 60.     

One student facilitator commented that the group is more diverse than it has been in the past. Typically female-dominated and homogeneous, this year’s group is about one third male and more racially diverse. As the student facilitator described, sex at Swarthmore, like any college, is a popular conversation topic, but rarely discussed in the kind of environment that the workshop provides.

Many students may have skewed perceptions and expectations of sex and relationships at Swarthmore. The workshop enables students to comfortably explore their own thoughts and feelings about sex, allowing for better communication and decision-making.

– Sydney Beveridge

2) Larry Schall on survivor?

“Imagine that in October of 2000, you and fifteen other strangers are stranded, hundreds of miles from anywhere, in the Australian Outback,” reads the “Survivor” website.

The rumor around campus is that life down-under is a possibility for Swat’s own Larry Schall, Vice President of Facilities and Services.

Schall said he has been flooded by questions during the last week as to whether he will be one of the next Survivors on the CBS hit show, but does not know why or how this rumor was started. Schall did not directly comment as to his involvement in the upcoming “Survivor: the Australian Outback,” which will premiere immediately after the Superbowl on January 28.

He did say, however, that he has visited the website (http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor/aussie/) to inquire about the new show. “Some of my family have been supportive,” Schall said. “My mom, for instance, is a huge fan. My oldest daughter, though, said she would definitely watch Dawson’s Creek instead.”

Schall, an adventurer who enjoys “backpacking deserts, kayaking fiords, rock climbing mountains, playing intramurals with Swatties” and keeping up with the latest “Survivor” buzz, said he would have done things a little differently had he been on the last show. Schall said he doesn’t “believe in alliances nor in alphabetically voting off members of the tribe,” which contradict some of Swat’s Quaker values.

He also has definite opinions about last season’s cast members, saying, “I was never a fan of Richard’s. Rudy is a good man… Susan never grew on me.”

First and foremost, however, Schall is “at heart a college administrator.” And what would he do with the million dollar prize? I ask. He responds, “How does the Schall Unified Science Center sound?”

– Kanani Milles

3) World news roundup

After a four and a half hour meeting, George W. Bush finally agreed to accept three presidential debates with Vice President Al Gore. The debate, organized by the bipartisan Commission on Presidential Debates, will take place in Boston, Winston-Salem, N.C., and St. Louis. The vice presidential candidates, Dick Cheney and Joseph Lieberman, are also scheduled for a debate in Danville, Ky. Each debate will last 90 minutes, and the format is still open for discussion.

FDA scientists narrowly rejected a proposal to ease the ban on gay male blood donors yesterday. All men who say that they have had sex, even once, with another man since 1977 are permanently banned from donating blood.

Although Wen Ho Lee’s plea bargain included an agreement not to sue the federal government for false imprisonment or malicious prosecution, it did not cover the pending civil lawsuit because Lee did not admit to espionage or other possible crimes alluded to in the leaks, his lawyers claimed. Clinton said yesterday that he was “quite troubled” by the way the justice department handled the case.

4) Campus events

FRIDAY

Shabbat Services and Dinner
Bond Memorial Hall, 5:30 p.m.

Movie: Toy Story 2
LPAC Cinema, 7:00 and 10:00 p.m.

Swarthmore Christian Fellowship Meeting
Kohlberg 115, 7:30 p.m.

Back to School Jam
Upper Tarble, 10:00 p.m.

SATURDAY

Movie: High Fidelity
LPAC Cinema, 7:00 and 10:00 p.m.

SUNDAY

Topics in Human Sexuality
Scheuer Room, 9:00 a.m.

Celebration of Mass
Bond Memorial Hall, 11:00 a.m.

Protestant Worship
Bond 2nd Floor Worship Room, 4:00 p.m.

Latin Dancing
Upper Tarble, 8:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) World sports roundup

The streets of Sydney became a giant party ground last night as a million fans turned out to celebrate the arrival of the Olympic flame. The IOC says Australia is ready for the biggest Olympic Games in history. Singer Olivia Newton-John will perform today at the opening ceremony. …The U.S. women’s soccer got its campaign off to a perfect start in the Olympics yesterday with a 2-0 victory over Norway. The loss was disappointing for Norway, which was very much the in-form team in women’s soccer this year and had secured victories over both the U.S. and China in the lead-up to the tournament. …Tiger Woods is about to sign a $100 million endorsement contract with Nike. It is believed to be the largest deal in sports history.

4) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

TODAY

Women’s tennis at Swarthmore Invitational
Women’s soccer at NYU, 4:00 p.m.

SATURDAY

Volleyball at Gettysburg w/ Bryn Mawr, 11:00 a.m.
Men’s Cross Country at Johns Hopkins, 11:00 a.m.
Field Hockey at Mryn Mawr, 11:30 a.m.
Women’s Cross Country at Johns Hopkins, 12:00 p.m.
Football hosts Johns Hopkins, 1:30 p.m.
Men’s soccer at Johns Hopkins, 4:00 p.m.

SUNDAY

Field Hockey at Mryn Mawr, TBA

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“It takes a virile man to make a chicken pregnant.” – Perdue chicken ad, as mistranslated abroad