Monday, September 11, 2000

The Daily Gazette

Monday, September 11, 2000
Volume 5, Number 3

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Major CC changes affect all student computers
2) World news roundup
3) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Field hockey remains undefeated
2) Women’s soccer trounces Goucher
3) Volleyball makes good showing at ‘Ford tourney
4) Men’s soccer loses heartbreaker
5) World sports roundup
6) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Variable cloudiness. Highs in the low 80s.
I could really go for a solar eclipse right about now.

Tonight: Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 60s.
You know, just to spice things up a bit.

Tomorrow: Rain likely. Highs around 80.
Wow, I can’t believe I just said that.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch:

Chicken fingers, French fries, *Asian pasta, Tuscan bean bake, corn, carrots
**Nacho bar

Dinner:

Chicken with spinach and feta, basmati rice, *tempeh with hoisin sauce, stuffed peppers, peas and carrots, vegetable blend
**Cheesesteak bar

NEWS REPORT

Information Technology Services, formerly known as the Computing Center, has some major modifications this summer. Aside from the name change, they’ve re-configured the main server and instituted on-line registration. Furthermore, they began using a bandwidth-shaper which will limit the amount of entertainment-focused traffic on the network.

There were a number of reasons for the changes, according to Adam Preset, the ITS staff member who spent his summer setting up the on-line registration system for students with computers. First of all, Preset says registration will “make it easier for ITS to trouble-shoot network problems with students by automatically compiling information about the user.

So what kind of data will ITS be compiling about you? According to Preset, they are not trying to be policemen. So what kind of music you download, what internet sites you visit, and whatever games or other recreational activities you do over the internet will not be monitored. The focus will be on the information which can help ITS do their job better.

On-line network registration will begin this Monday, September 11, said Preset; he attributes the delay to the over-whelming network traffic at the very beginning of the semester.

The network re-configuration and the use of the bandwidth-shaper were instituted to [make] sure that resources are distributed equally among students and staff members, said Steve Kane, who is responsible for the network re-configuration. One result of the bandwidth-shaper, which some returning students may already have noticed, is that the downloading speed for music files has been dramatically reduced. Since we believe in students’ right to do what they need to do within reason we are not taking away access to programs like Napster, said Preset, we just want to make sure that curriculum-related activities are receiving the highest priority.

Returning students may also have noticed that the new server now has a 10 MB quota after which students will not be able to store any more information in their network folders. According to Eric Osheim 03, who worked at ITS over the summer, 10 MB are more than enough space for students to store all of their text files for the four years while they are at Swarthmore.

– Kanani Milles

2) World news roundup

The U.S. government agreed to drop nearly its entire case against former Los Alamos scientist Wen Ho Lee Sunday in return for Dr. Lee’s agreement to plead guilty to a single charge of improperly downloading classified material, in this case the “crown jewels” of the weapons program, onto an unsecured computer.

Hal Haig “Harry” Prieste, 103, a former Olympic diving medallist, returned the original Olympic flag which he had taken as a dare from its pole at the 1920 Belgium Games. The flag, believed to be the first to feature the five rings on a white symbol, had been sitting in a briefcase in Prieste’s house, but he returned it Sunday saying, “I thought I ain’t going to be around much longer — it’s no good in a suitcase.”

At least sixteen people were killed and many more injured in a train crash on Indonesia’s main island of Java early Monday. There have been a number of fatal accidents in the country this year – most have been found to be caused by human error.

Anti-globalization protesters delayed the start of an international economic forum in Melbourne, Australia Monday, battling police and forming a human barricade around the site.

NBC’s new series about a White House staff in turmoil, “The West Wing,” took home a record-tying eight Emmy awards Sunday night.

3) Campus events

Economics Lecture by Caroline M. Hoxby, Harvard University
Kirby Lecture Hall, 7:30 p.m.

Ballroom and Swing
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SWIL Movie: Ladyhawke
Kirby Lecture Hall, 10:00 p.m.

Student Council Meeting
Parrish Parlor – East, 10:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Field hockey remains undefeated

The field hockey team shocked conference rival Gettysburg this weekend, defeating the Bullets 4-2 to bring their record to 3-0, 1-0. Kristen English ’01 scored the first goal of the game off a penalty kick. Meg Woodworth ’03 scored off an assist from Amy Dibenedetto ’02. Also scoring goals were Erika Williams ’01 and Alison Gaffney ’02, off an assist from Kim Cariello ’02. The Bullets came back to cut the lead to 4-2 with nine minutes to go, but the Garnet hung on for the victory. Kate Nelson-Lee ’03 had 13 assists for Swat.

2) Women’s soccer trounces Goucher

With a 5-0 victory over Goucher, the women’s soccer team raised their record to 2-1 on the season. The Garnet jumped out to a 3-0 first half lead off two goals from E. B. Fortier ’03 and one from Sarah Jay ’01. Fortier also had two assists on the day, while Katie McCaffrey ’04 had the other three. In the second half Emily Rhoades ’04 and Courtney Caughey ’04 each scored their first career Garnet goals.

The Volleyball team won their first match at this weekend’s Haverford Tournament, defeating Neumann 3-2, but they got swept 3-0 in their second contest against Pitt-Johnstown. In a tough match vs. Neumann, the Garnet came away victorious, 15-3, 7-15, 15-11, 5-15, 16-14. The scores vs. Pitt-Johnstown were 8-15, 2-15, and 13-15. The team is now 1-2 on the season.

4) Men’s soccer loses heartbreaker

In the 98th minute of play, Western Maryland broke a 0-0 tie with a penalty kick to send the Garnet away with a heartbreaking 1-0 overtime defeat, leaving them with a 1-2, 0-1 record on the season. Chris Milla ’03 had 10 saves for Swat before giving up the game-winner.

5) World sports roundup

To quickly sum up a huge day in the world of sports, Bobby Knight was fired, Pete Sampras was beaten, Tiger Woods won again, Randy Johnson recorded K #3000, PLUS there was a full slate of NFL games. …Indiana University basketball coach Bobby Knight was fired for a “pattern of unacceptable behavior.” Knight violated the “zero tolerance” policy set before him in May when he grabbed a student by the arm last week and “cussed him out” for apparently disrespecting him. …Pete Sampras was thouroughly trounced in straight sets by 20-year old Russian sensation Marat Safin in the finals of the US Open. Almost exactly a decade earlier, 19-year-old Sampras stormed onto the tennis scene with a similar victory on the same court. …Tiger Woods won for the ninth time this year, and the fifth time in his last seven tournaments, with a one-shot victory at the Canadian Open. In his last 38 events, he has earned $14.9 million – more than any other golfer has ever earned in an entire career. …Randy Johnson struck out the 3,000th batter of his career, but his Arizona Diamondbacks fell to the Marlins in 12 innings.

4) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

TODAY

There are no contests scheduled for today

TOMORROW

There are no contests scheduled for tomorrow

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small.” – Henry Kissinger